I LOOOOOOOVED this dish! If you’ve read my blogs, you know I don’t consider myself a cook. But recipes like these sure make me feel like one, and a really good one at that! I was looking for healthy recipe ideas for our 4th of July weekend and this is one I came across and said to myself “I can do this one. Can’t be hard.” This is another recipe I have adapted from CookingLight.com by EMILY NABORS HALL! And I was right! It wasn’t hard to follow, but, if you know me by now, I still found a way to get it confused and give it my twist. If you read my ,Grilled Peaches with Feta and Honey Blog, you know I confuse my fruits and I have my food restrictions. Here are the substitutions I have made, truly making this recipe custom-made-to-me-and-my-confused-brain:
- The original recipe uses PEACHES… but I mistakenly grabbed Nectarines instead. A yummy (and dummy) mistake.
- It also uses bacon, which I do not eat. I wanted to substitute it with coconut flakes but I didn’t find it at the market that day. So choose between bacon or coconut flakes if you’d like to add that.
- I replaced Sherry Vinegar with Rice Vinegar since I could not find sherry vinegar.
- I used chicken breast instead of chicken breast, only because the chicken breast did not thaw in time to prep for our 4th of July lunch. And let me tell you: IT WAS GOOD!!!
- I did not use chives, but you may!
BBQ Chicken with Nectarines and Feta Slaw
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar (or sherry vinegar)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3/8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups (about 2 medium) sliced fresh nectarines (or peaces)
- 1 (12-oz.) pkg. broccoli slaw
- 3 (6-oz.) skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-in. strips
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 ounce feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 center-cut bacon slices, cooked and crumbled OR coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives